School Travel Plan Policy
School Travel Policy 2020-21
We encourage active travel for our pupils, staff and community for the following reasons :
- Walking, scooting and cycling keep us fit and healthy.
- It helps our pupils develop road safety skills which will keep them safe as they travel further afield and more independently.
- It helps keep our local air clean, and our streets free from congestion.
- These are life skills that everyone should be able to benefit from.
What we do:
- We use Modeshift STARS to update and monitor our school travel plan
- We promote safe and active travel as much as possible by using our notice board, displays, newsletter and school website
- We encourage all members of our school community to walk, scooter or cycle for the journey to school. To support this we provide:
o Cycle training (Bikeability)
o Scooter training
o Pedestrian training (Footsteps)
o Cycle and scooter parking
- Local school trips are made by public transport where possible, or on foot if the destination is close by
- We let all new pupils and their parents/carers know that we promote healthy and sustainable travel to school
What we ask of parents:
- Please encourage your child(ren) to walk, scoot or cycle to school whenever possible
- Ensure your child(ren) walk or ride sensibly and safely on the way to and from school, and to push bikes and scooters on school grounds
- Ensure that bicycles and scooters are roadworthy and properly maintained (If in doubt consult a qualified mechanic.)
- Providing your child(ren) with a cycle helmet
- Ensure your child(ren) can be seen by fitting lights to their bike by supplying them with high-visibility clothing
- Ensure you have appropriate insurance cover for your child(ren)’s bicycle or scooter as the school is not liable for any loss or damage to cycles or scooters on the premises or being used on the way to or from school
We understand that sometimes there is no alternative to driving to school.
- Where a car must be used we ask parents to drive only part of the way, and drop their child(ren) off away from the school so that some of the journey can be walked or scooted. We have a 5 / 10 minute Walking Bubble we ask parents to park outside of and park & stride.
- If you do have to drive your child(ren) and stop in the near vicinity please do so legally, safely and with respect for our neighbours and local residents. It is not acceptable to park or wait on the school zigzags or across residential driveways for any period of time.
- Please note that the decision on whether a child is competent to cycle or scoot to school is for the parent(s) or carer(s) to make. The school has no liability for any consequences arising from this decision.
- Reducing vehicles and creating more space around school will also make it much easier for families to socially distance and feel safer.
What we ask of pupils:
- Ask your parents if you can walk, scoot or cycle to school
- Behave in a way that shows you and the school in the best light whether walking, scooting, cycling or using public transport
- Ride or walk courteously, sensibly and safely on the way to and from school
- Push bikes and scooters on the school grounds
- Check that your bike or scooter is roadworthy and properly maintained
- Wear a cycle helmet
- Make sure you can be seen by using lights in the dark or bad weather and by wearing high-visibility clothing